Thursday, September 1, 2011

Five Years

Today I arrived in London.  Although in vacation mode right now, in a week I will be in the Netherlands for the World 100km Championship race.  I am blessed and honored to have the opportunity to join 5 other guys in representing the US against a field of some of the best ultra runners from around the globe.  It seems only fitting that the day I departed the States was a milestone in my running career.

Yesterday was five years.  Five years in which I have run every single day without fail.  1826 days in a row (don't forget the leap year).  More runs than that since I ran doubles over some of that time period.  21030 miles logged.  4200 miles per year.  350 miles per month.  11.5 miles per day.

There is nothing magic about five years.  There is nothing magic about running every single day.  It's not necessary.  For most runners, it's not even recommended.  But to me, it is symbolic.  It represents a commitment I made 5 years ago.  I had finished my collegiate eligibility and I had a decision to make.  Did I want to continue running competitively or not?  I took some time off that summer to see if I missed the training or if I found other passions to consume my time outside of work.  I decided to give it a shot.  I was going all in.  And that's when my streak began. 

My running goals have changed significantly over the years since I made that decision.  I initially intended to pursue the US marathon Olympic Trials qualifier which was 2:22 at the time.  When the standard was subsequently lowered to 2:19, I felt it was placed just outside of being a realistic goal for myself.  Then I discovered trail racing and the ultra running community which eventually led me where I am today.  Though my racing focus has shifted, my commitment to be the best I possibly could be has never wavered.

It's been a long road filled with many ups and downs.  Who knows how this 100km race will turn out for me and the US team?  All I know is that I will toe the line ready to give it my best shot.  The work is all but done.  So I approach the race with confidence, knowing that the commitment I made five years ago has led me to this race.

3 comments:

  1. What a journey my friend. I wish you nothing but the best for your 100K. You will rock. All the very best David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Dave!

    We're all pulling for you here in Cincinnati, run well and leave it all out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! You have 5 years of the perfect base for this race. Represent the red, white, & blue and give it everything you have.

    ReplyDelete